Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What? No gizzards?


Funny story I found today about people buying turkeys and - to their horror! - not getting the little package of turkey organs inside the cavity to use for their gravy.

Ah, gravy. I admit I'm a sucker for anything covered in gravy: The sides can be cold and the meat can be dry, but as long as there's good hot gravy, then it really doesn't matter. If it says gravy on the menu, I'll order it. (Chicken fried steak with cream gravy? Yes, please!) I love white gravy, dark gravy, gravy with onion mix, coffee red-eye gravy, and tomato gravy. And who can forget the heavy significance of Stephannie's gravy fantasy from last year's Survivor? Poor Stephannie. In the middle of the competition, the girl mentionned she'd die for a plate of mashed potatoes and gravy after days of jungle crap. Who could blame her? But her tribemates interpreted the comment as a sign of weakness and voted her off that same episode. The lesson: Gravy is a temptress, a fantasy, a powerful dream that can make your mind wander from the task at hand.

But back to giblets. I like the idea of giblets in gravy, though I've yet to try it out. Last time I made turkey – a gigantic feast for 15 animals (uhh, friends) who left my kitchen looking as if I had invited Charles Bukowsksis and Jim Harrison for an eating and drinking contest – I ended up using the remaining drippings and spiked it with chicken broth and thickened it with a cornstarch slurry. Simple, yet effective. The evening was mentionned in a story I wrote for AOL Canada, which you can find here.

No comments: