Wednesday, February 13, 2008

You are what you drink


I wrote about the trials of ordering wine while on a dinner date for today's National Post. Check it out here. And thanks to Steve Murray for the illusration.

A few things I learned while researching the story:
- Ordering wine while on a date still remains a male responsibility.
- Avoid the big tannic reds on first dates. Too heavy and it'll stain your teeth.
- Champagne! Couldn't fit this detail in the story but Mark Taylor, sommelier and owner of Cru restaurant in Vancouver tells me it's always a crowd-pleaser. A bit celebratory, but it always sets the mood right.

A logical follow-up story on this topic would be how we all judge dinner-guests based on what wine they bring. I'm hardly a wine snob (I love <$10 Italians) and I won't turn away a guest at the door if they bring an offensive wine, but if someone shows up with Yellow Tail or Jackson Triggs, they will be barred from future dinners. Harsh? Perhaps, but someone's gotta set the standards.

No comments: