Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Episode 1: DB Bistro Moderne (Vancouver)

The pilot episode is finally here!

Here forth is the launch of chowonchow's new video blog. Click on the clip and see my quick review of my meal at DB Bistro Moderne in Vancouver.



Before embarking on a 36-hour journey to Penang, I visited my brother in Vancouver who so graicously took me out to DB Bistro Moderne. It was payback, sorta: I took him to Michel Rostang, the restaurant I worked at in Paris, for a full nine-course meal with wine-pairings. So, in return, he takes me to... DB? In his defense, it was a weeknight and he is a family man with two young kids, so the tasting menu at Lumiere would not have fit comfortably in either his nor his wife's schedule, unfortunately. DB it would have to be.

Anyway, the meal was very good. I'm not a fan of branch bistro-outposts of celeb chefs but, I have to admit, this one is a good one. Everything was well cooked and very French – in a very good way. Technique at DB passes muster – just look at my terrine. And yes, I had a bite of my brother's DB burger (= ground sirloin + braised short ribs + foie gras + truffles). It was delicious, even if the truffle flavours were lacking due to the season.

Enjoy the video. Comments, as always, are welcome.

Stay tuned. Next episode, I inhale noodles and try a Penang classic.

No comments: